CONSUMER ADVOCACY CENTRE GHANA
CAC was established in 2008 as a Consumer Organization with the aim of providing Advocacy, Research and provide support for consumers seeking redress. It became an Affiliate member of the Consumers International (CI) in the same year. Consequently CAC represents CI in Ghana.
Objectives and Activities by CAC
Some of the principal objectives of the CAC are:
- To educate consumers on their rights and responsibilities;
- To provide a channel for consumer opinion and representation;
- To serve as watchdog for consumer interest and seek redress for consumer complaints;
Activities of CI
- In order to achieve these objectives, the CAC undertakes various activities in the areas of research, lobbying and advocacy as well as representation of consumers at various national and international for a, conferences and workshop.
- In line with this, the CAC has carried out research assignments on various consumer issues including quality of ready to eat foods in Major Urban Areas in Ghana, ethical marketing pharmaceuticals in Ghana, Marketing of Banned Baby Foods and Drugs as well as the availability of genetically manufactured (GM) foods on the Ghanaian market.
Ongoing Project - FAIR FOOD PRICES IN GHANA
ABOUT THE PROJECT
Rising food prices are causing serious consumer harm, and the impact is particularly severe in Africa. Food prices appear to be rising excessively, beyond what the pandemic or war in Ukraine would lead us to expect.
Even before this crisis, weak competition policy was enabling food price gouging and other uncompetitive practices in many African contexts. To combat unfair pricing and to lessen the impact of rising prices for consumers in Africa, the project ‘Consumer Voice for Fair Food Prices’ works strengthen consumer advocacy and competition policy at national and regional level………..Read More